The entire grist mill site known as McElveen Pond was built by Ansel Parrish in the early part of the 19th century (perhaps as early as 1820). After Ansel's death in 1864, it was acquired by William (Big Bill) Brannen, who owned it until the time of his death about 1888. Later, it was owned by Berry A. Daughtry and George Bird and was known as the Bird-Daughtry mill. This mill had a rice huller as well as machinery for grinding corn. By 1909, the mill had become the property of James McElveen, who added gins for both Sea Island and Upland cotton. McElveen Pond was eventually acquired by George Byrd and he sold it to Strickland Holloway, Sr. and Lincoln Womack in 1960. In 1977, Strickland Holloway, Jr. purchased the interest from Lincoln Womack. Strickland Holloway, Sr. and Strickland Holloway, Jr. owned the property together until 2000 when Strickland Holloway, III purchased the interest of his father and grandfather and has owned it until the present.
CALL to schedule a time to hunt, fish, canoe, kayak, bird watch,shoot our archery range, plan a birthday party or meeting or to become a full member.
Blackwater Preserve, Inc.
Register, Georgia 30452